Weber History

Even though Doctors Frank and Martin Weber are no longer with us, we strive to continue the amazing legacy of the Weber name, which has been synonymous with quality eyecare in Central Pennsylvania for five generations.

Our Story

Since the 1930s, Weber Vision has provided top quality eyecare to Central Pennsylvania. That’s when Dr. Martin Weber began his practice in downtown Harrisburg. His son, Dr. Frank Weber, later began to practice optometry and the two Drs. Weber eventually moved their practices to the suburbs, opening a facility on Elmerton Avenue across the street from the Colonial  Park Plaza (as it was known until it was enclosed and transformed into a mall) in the 1970s. Drs. Williams and Bloom joined Dr. Frank Weber’s optometric practice in the 1990s and purchased the practice in 1997.

Drs. Williams and Bloom modernized the Elmerton Avenue facility over the next several years; however, as the space required for the lab equipment (which, like lots of other electronic technology has become increasingly small) diminished, Drs. Bloom and Williams began to search for a new facility.  In Fall of 2012 they moved Weber Vision Care to a brand new home at 4392 Sturbridge Drive in Harrisburg.The bright and spacious new office includes the area’s finest optical dispensary, a kids’ optical area, beautiful new patient greeting area, a separate area for kids, a pre-screening room, six examination rooms, a visual fields room, updated diagnostic equipment, and a completely modernized optical laboratory to fulfill their own exacting standards.

Click here for some great pictures of our Sturbridge Drive office from our friends at TKS Architects.

Our Story

Did you know that today's Weber Vision Care practice can trace its roots to the 1890s? That's when E.L. Egolf began practicing in Harrisburg at 807 North Third Street. Egolf began selling ready-made eyeglasses that he "positively guaranteed would fit any nose, whether large or small"!

In 1905, Dr. Egolf moved his office to 210 North Third Street, and ventured into "the manufacturing of fine lenses for the wholesale trade throughout this and foreign countries."  Right before the First World War, he was practicing optometry again, this time at 302 Market Street.

In 1938, Dr. Martin Weber, who had been practicing as an optometrist for a few years in Harrisburg, joined Dr. Egolf's practice.  The Harrisburg Telegraph reported that as of Dr. Weber's joining him, Dr. Egolf had fit 60,000 eyeglasses in his 45 years of practice in Harrisburg! Drs. Weber and Egolf practiced at 213 Market Street in Harrisburg.

Dr. Frank Weber followed in his father's footsteps, graduating from optometry school and beginning practice in Harrisburg.   In the 1970s the Webers constucted a new building near the intersection of Colonial Road and Elmerton Avenue, just a stone's throw from the Colonial Park Mall.  The new facility boasted the latest in exam room equipment, a modern optical dispensary, and a large lab that generated and cut both glass and plastic lenses. 

In 1997, Drs. Williams and Bloom purchased Dr. Webers' practices. Rather than implement wholesale changes, they strived to build on the practices' amazing reputation in Central Pennsylvania; that's why they decided that the practice should remain "Weber."   Drs. Williams and Bloom renovated the Elmerton Avenue premises to include a new optical dispensary and more exam rooms.

Even more important than our physical premises are our amazing staff members! Each of the Weber Vision Care staff understands that providing the most up-to-date technology and science in combination with good old-fashioned patient care and customer service is the best way to ensure that you are satisfied with your experience.

Need to order contacts?

Order Now

Schedule an Appointment?

Let's go!